This session is a high-level overview of key best practices in nonprofit financial management. It is designed for board and managers of nonprofit organizations, and will help those leaders understand what some of the best practices look like, so that they can determine if those practices are in place in their nonprofit organizations and how they might put those in place for the future.
- Understand best practices in nonprofit internal controls
- Understand best practices in nonprofit financial reporting
- Understand best practices in nonprofit budgeting and other key areas of financial management
Jackie F. Breland is a Certified Public Accountant, financial consultant and President of Jackie Breland Consulting, P.A., a firm that provides comprehensive financial management services to clients in the non-profit, governmental and small business for profit sectors in South Carolina. Jackie’s focus area is working with small to medium-sized organizations to provide assistance in building financial capacity and strengthening accounting systems and processes. She has over 32 years of financial management experience, with a brief summary as follows:
- Public accounting experience with Ernst & Young in Columbia, South Carolina. Primarily audited healthcare and non-profit clients.
- Public accounting and tax experience with Elliott Davis in Columbia, South Carolina.
- Corporate tax experience managing a large corporate Tax Department for a large insurance company for over eight years, in Columbia, South Carolina.
- Financial Analysis experience, including financial forecasting, planning and general financial analysis.
- Project Management experience, including the management of a large corporate data warehouse and other company-wide projects.
- Extensive financial consulting experience with Jackie Breland Consulting, P.A. for the past 16 years, including grant management, financial project management, corporate accounting and financial reporting, budgeting, cash management, forecasting, and financial systems design and implementation.
Jackie also provides financial workshops and technical assistance to non-profit organizations in areas of accountability, financial management, financial reporting, accounting policies and procedures, budgeting, cashflow management, internal controls and fraud prevention, federal / state grant compliance, Form 990, risk management and other related topics. She and her team of CPAs also serve as the outsourced CFO to a number of nonprofit organizations in South Carolina.
Jackie currently serves on the faculty of the Nonprofit Management Program at Winthrop University, a certificate program designed for professionals working in nonprofit organizations.
Jackie served on the South Carolina Association of Nonprofit Organization’s Blue Ribbon Task Force for Preserving the Public Trust in 2006 and 2007. This group developed the Guiding Principles and Best Practices for South Carolina’s nonprofit organizations, which is now in its third edition. In addition, she is an active member of the American Institute for CPAs, the South Carolina Association of CPAs and South Carolina Association of Nonprofit Organizations.
Jackie F. Breland, CPA email: Jackie@jackiebreland.com
Jackie Breland Consulting, P.A. web site: http://www.jackiebreland.com
2711 Middleburg Drive, Suite 313C
Columbia, SC 29204
803 / 429-1705 (cell)
803 / 252-7337 (fax)