IN ALL THINGS, CHARITY
The Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine, a religious congregation, was established in 1851 when they began their health care ministry in the Diocese of Cleveland.
In succeeding years, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine became known for their dedication to meeting the health, education and social needs of the poor. "In all things charity," is more than their motto. It was and is a daily reminder of their purpose.
In 1937, Bishop Emmet Walsh of the Diocese of Charleston asked the Sisters to join in establishing and operating a new Catholic hospital in Columbia, South Carolina – Providence Hospital. The Sisters brought with them a significant portion of the financial support needed for this endeavor. Since then, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine have been a major part of South Carolina's life, especially in serving the poor.
The Sisters of Charity Foundation of South Carolina was developed through a partnering decision in November 1995 to strategically position the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine Health System's hospitals in a manner to enable them to be responsive to the major trends in health care. In Columbia, South Carolina, the assets of Providence Hospital were conveyed into a newly established partnership in which the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine Health System and Columbia/HCA became equal in ownership and governance. The funds made available from the purchase of a 50% interest by Columbia/HCA in the newly established partnership enabled the establishment of the Sisters of Charity Foundation of South Carolina. In 2001, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine purchased back the 50% interest in Providence Hospital from Columbia/HCA. The Sisters are now the sole owners of the facility.
The Foundation is a successor to the Providence Hospital Foundation, which served the needs of the hospital since November 1978.
View Responding in Love, a short video of the history of the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine.